Getting a reliable TV provider can be quite tricky, especially with the myriads of providers on the market today. And with Mediacom and DirecTV doing a fine job of delivering impeccable TV services to their teeming viewers, you’ll have a hard time deciding which of these providers is perfect for you.
But not to worry, we are here to make things easy for you. Today’s post will present you with all the exciting features of Mediacom and DirecTV, how they stack up, their shortcomings as well as their major selling points. After reading today’s post, you’ll have all the information you need to pick the right TV service provider that works for you and your family.
Mediacom Cable TV Overview
Mediacom has taken cable TV to a whole new level, and that’s because of its incredible channel selections, decent pricing, amazing bundle options, over the top add-ons, and more. Offering an unparalleled cable TV and internet services in over 22 states, this TV provider is readily available and will make a decent choice for people looking for a reliable TV service.
Today, Mediacom covers much of the Central and Midwestern States, including some areas in California and the Southeast.
For people who would like to bundle internet and TV from one provider, Mediacom will make a great choice. More so, they offer amazing plans you’ll love.
With a massive library of on-demand content waiting for you on Mediacom, we doubt if you’ll ever run out of content to watch.
Thanks to Mediacom TV service, you’ll enjoy seamless access to some of the best channels, along with the intelligent Xtream Voice Remote, the impressive Tivo DVR as well as the freedom to enjoy thousands of on-demand content and DVR titles right from your comfort zone.
Pros and cons
There are loads of amazing features that make Mediacom a must-have. That said, Mediacom also has some not so cool features you should be aware. Here, check out some pros and cons of Mediacom;
- Boast of a massive on-demand library
- Features a decent DVR
- Offers customers A 90-day money-back guarantee
- Fantastic packages to choose from
- Bundles are a tad pricey
- More channels are only unlocked when you subscribe to their Xtream Tripple play deals
- Poor sports selection
DirecTV Cable TV Services Overview
For avid TV lovers looking for an “A” list TV provider with a track record of offering fantastic TV services, you’ll not go wrong to give DirecTV a try. With awesome bundles, impeccable channels, powerful DVR, thousands of on-demand titles, and fantastic sports content up for watching, you’ll fall in love with DirecTV right from the get-go.
What particularly love about DirecTV is that they offer unbeatable sports and premium channels, including the famous NFL Sunday Ticket that sports lovers have come to appreciate.
Compared to Mediacom, DirecTV is available nationwide. Little wonder why they are trusted by thousands of customers in the United States and beyond. With loads of sports content making it to their channel selections, sports lovers can now relax and enjoy an amazing sports experience.
The not so cool thing, however, is that DirecTV requires their customers to agree to a 2-year contract. And should you decide to opt-out of their services before your contract with them expires, you’ll be required to pay an early termination fee. So keep this in mind before you subscribe to their service.
Pros and cons
DirecTV has built a solid reputation in the TV landscape, and that’s all thanks to their impressive services, but guess what, they also have their shortcomings. Here, check out some pros and cons of DirecTV you should be aware of;
- Delivers fantastic sports content
- Offers free installation
- Lots of efficient and superior plans to choose from
- Amazing coverage
- Transparent pricing
- Satellite connections are prone to interruptions from bad weather conditions
- Users have to agree to a contract
- DirecTV is quite pricey
Mediacom and DirecTV installation and equipment setup
Mediacom is on the high side when it comes to installation. As a matter of fact, the company charges a one-time installation fee of $99. That’s not all; you’ll also pay a one-time activation fee of $10. Add all these together with your monthly cable subscription, and your bills will go over the roof.
But we have good news for you. While Mediacom’s installation fee is pretty expensive, there is a loophole you can explore to keep things low. Oh yes, if you order Mediacom online, the company will most time waive this fee, so you’ll end up paying nothing at the end of the day. Cool right? We thought so too.
On the flip side, the installation process for DirecTV can be quite complicated. And this is because you’ll require the services of a technician to come set everything up. Plus, if you live in an apartment where the landlord doesn’t let you set up equipment on his properties, you’ll run into all sorts of problems.
However, the good thing with DirecTV is that its installation process wouldn’t cost much. And besides the $19.95 activation the company charges, the company doesn’t charge you anything for installation. To this end, if you’re looking to keep costs down, you’ll be better off with DirecTV.
Mediacom offers loads of exciting bundle deals you don’t want to miss. With Mediacom, you can bundle internet and TV service from one provider. Not just that, Mediacom offers exciting bundle deals under its Xtream brand. And thanks to their Tripple play all in one system, you can now bundle Internet, TV, and phone services for a reasonable price. With impeccable internet performance and download speed as high as 100 to 200 Mbps, you’ll enjoy an awesome time surfing the internet.
With pricing starting from $80 to $100 per month, you’ll not find a better bundle deal on the market.
Besides their Triple Play bundle option, Mediacom also offers Double Play bundles; however, the download speed isn’t as impressive as what you get on their Tripple Play bundle deals.
DirecTV also offers lots of fantastic bundle deals you’ll love. With DirecTV, you can bundle internet and TV services for a reasonable price, making it perfect for people who want to save more on their TV subscription. The amazing thing with DirecTV is that the company lets you bundle internet and phone services from other providers.
Although price can vary a little bit, if you want to have an idea of what you’ll pay when bundling, you can explore DirecTV and AT&T bundle deals that range between $80 and $100 for the first two years.
At the end of the day, both providers offer appealing and reasonably priced bundles. However, if you’re looking to keep costs low, DirecTV and AT&T bundles will make a decent choice.
Availability and National Coverage
As the 5th largest cable TV provider in the United States, Mediacom services are available in 22 American cities. To put things simply, Mediacom services are available in 2,373 zip codes nationwide. As of 2020, this company reportedly offers its services to over 7.6 million people in Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, and 19 other states. Some of the biggest cities that make up the Mediacom Service area include Columbus, DesMoines, Albany, and Springfield.
Like most TV service providers, Mediacom tends to centre the majority of its coverage in Urban and Suburban areas.
As one of the big shots in the TV landscape, DirecTV has a wide coverage area. And because their services are transmitted via satellite, you only need to live in an area with an uninterrupted view of the southern skies to get a good signal. Compared to Mediacom, DirecTV has wider coverage as its services are available nationwide.
When it comes to coverage, DirecTV tops a lot of other providers as their satellite broadcast is available anywhere with a distinct view of the southern sky. So whether you live in remote areas or urban region, you can start enjoying their services right away.
Channel packages comparison
Both Mediacom and DirecTV feature lots of impressive channels you’ll love. From movies to sports to TV shows and more, both providers offer access to top channels where you can watch your favourite TV programming. Read on as we explore how DirecTV and Mediacom stack up in terms of channel comparison.
Mediacom offers some of the best cable packages you’ll get in this industry. And the good thing about their services is that they do not offer a standalone TV package. What this means is that Mediacom bundles TV and internet services, which is cool, especially for people who want to save more from their TV subscription. With five amazing packages to choose from, users can watch between 50 to 175 channels depending on the package they opt for. Here are all the exciting packages offered by Mediacom;
- Internet 60 + local TV: This package offers a nice blend of impressive channel selections along with a quality internet connection. With this package, you’ll enjoy access to 50 top channels together with a 60 Mbps internet speed. And guess what, it only cost $49.99
- Access Internet 60 + Essential TV: While this package is a lot similar to Mediacom’s base package, it offers way more channels than what you’ll get on their basic package. With the Access Internet 60 + Essential TV package from Mediacom, you’ll unlock access to 125 channels along with a decent 60 Mbps Internet speed. The incredible thing is that this package is reasonably priced and cost only $59.99.
- Access Internet 60 + Variety TV: Want more from your TV subscription? Then this awesome package will not fail to impress you. Starting at $69.99 per month, this exciting package offers access to over 175 channels as well a decent internet connection speed of 60 Mbps.
- Internet 60 + Variety TV: This package is quite similar to the Access Internet 60 + Variety TV package from Mediacom. Like the former, the Internet 60 + Variety TV package offers access to 175 channels as well as a 60 Mbps internet speed. The only difference here is that this package has its data capped at 400GB. For just $79.99, you can get hooked to this package and start streaming your favourite channels right away.
- Internet 100 + Variety TV + Phone: With this fantastic package from Mediacom, you’re finally on your way to getting the best from your TV subscription. With over 175 channels up for watching along with a decent 100 Mbps internet speed, nothing is standing between you and your favourite show. The highlight of this package is that it bundles TV, internet, and phone services, making it easier for customers to manage their bills.
DirecTV offers its customers lots of amazing packages they will love. And for those who are looking to get more from their TV subscription, DirecTV will not disappoint you. However, there is a price hike between their Ultimate package and Premiere plan. And that’s because the DirecTV Premiere package offers exclusive access to “A” lists channels like Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz. Read on as we explore all the exciting packages offered by DirecTV;
- Select package: This package may not be the best on the market, but you’ll sure enjoy access to some of the best channels out there. Featuring 50 top channels, you can start streaming right away; you can finally relax and enjoy some of your favourite programmings. Amazingly, this package is reasonably priced and only costs only $59.99.
- Entertainment package: Want to get exclusive access to more channels? Then you’re welcome to give DirecTV’s Entertainment package a try. With over 160 channels available on this package, keeping up with your favourite programs has never been this easy. Thankfully, this package isn’t too expensive and cost only $64.99.
- Choice package: For avid sports lovers, this package has everything you’re looking for. With this package, you can finally keep up with your favourite sporting events. Starting at $69.99 per month, this awesome package offers access to over 185 channels, including the famous NFL Sunday Ticket.
- Xtra package: When all you want is access to top channels, the Xtra package from DirecTV never disappoints. With over 235 channels up for streaming, you’ll never run out of content to watch. And yes, it wouldn’t cost you a fortune as this package is priced at $79.99
- Ultimate package: The Ultimate package from DirecTV features over 250 unique channels you’ll love. And guess what, it is reasonably priced too, so you wouldn’t have to break the bank to get hooked. With price starting at $84.99, you’ll agree that this package isn’t too pricey.
- Premiere package: The Premiere package from DirecTV has everything you have always wanted from your TV subscription. From movies to sports and News, the Premiere package offers access to over 300 quality channels. And like other packages from DirecTV, the Premiere package is decently priced and will cost only $134.99 to get plugged.
Besides their impressive channel selections, Mediacom features thousands of on-demand titles you can watch on the go. From top movies to premium shows and more, Mediacom has proven to be home to some of the finest on-demand content. For TV lovers who are looking to catch the latest flick to hit the screens, you’ll not be disappointed to give Mediacom on-demand content a try. Simply visit their movies on demand section to get started right away.
When it comes to on-demand content, Mediacom doesn’t come close to DirecTV. And that’s because DirecTV offers way more titles than you’ll get on Mediacom. With DirecTV, you can watch more than 50,000 movies and TV shows on the go. So if on-demand content is your thing, you’ll absolutely love DirecTV as they offer more titles than you can ever finish streaming.
Pricing Comparison between Mediacom and Directv
Pricing has always been such an important factor when deciding which TV service works for you. From the basic cost of TV service to the cost of add-on and equipment, there is so much to consider when shopping for the perfect TV provider. Read on as we explore all of these details. Hopefully, all these bits of information will help you make a better decision.
Cost of TV service
DirecTV offers a blend of brilliant packages that range between $59.99 and $134.99. What this means is that the amount you get to pay at the end of the day depends on the package you opt-for. Similarly, Mediacom offers five fantastic packages you can explore. And just like DirecTV, the pricing of their packages ranges between $49.99 and $89.99.
When it comes to the cost of TV service, Mediacom is a way cheaper option. So if you’re on a budget and looking to keep your bills low, we suggest you give Mediacom a try.
Cost of Equipment and DVR
There are lots of extra fees you should be aware of before signing up for DirecTV. While the cost of their main receiver is included in the amount you paid while signing up; customers are charged $7 for every extra receiver.
With Mediacom, customers can explore a host of digital adapters to improve their TV experience. Unfortunately, Mediacom is not very upfront with its customers regarding the cost of digital adapters. So if you want to get a clear picture of how much they charge, we suggest you reach out to their customer service team.
Activation and installation fees
DirecTV charges its customers a one-time activation fee of $19.95. Although this is on the high side, you’ll be happy to learn that installation is free.
Compared to DirecTV, Mediacom keeps its activation fee pretty low as they charge their customers a $10 activation fee. That said, their installation fee is way too high as the company charges a one-time installation fee of $99.
Contracts and cancellation
DirecTV has joined the train of TV service providers offering contracts to customers. With DirecTV, users have to agree to a 2-year contract before they can start enjoying their services. The not so cool thing with this is that you’ll find it hard to opt-out of their service. Should you decide you want out of their contract, you’ll be required to pay an early termination fee. This fee can be as high as $20 for every month left on your contract.
With Mediacom, there are no contracts, so you can easily opt-out of their service anytime you like.
Mediacom Cable TV offers customers the all amazing TiVo DVR. With this DVR, you can record up to 150 hours of HD or 1,000 hours of SD content. And this is all thanks to its massive storage space of 1TB. And unlike other DVR on the market, the Tivo DVR lets you record six shows simultaneously.
Interestingly, the Tivo DVR also boasts of lots of exciting features including letting users pause, rewind, fast-forward and playback shows.
On the flip side, DirecTV spots its signature DVR, the Genie. With this powerful DVR, you can record up to 100 hours of HD and 400 hours of SD. More so, the Genie DVR lets you record five shows at the same time.
Compared to the Genie DVR from DirecTV, the Tivo DVR from Mediacom is way in the league of its own. From storage space to simultaneous recordings and more, the Tivo DVR completely outclasses the Genie DVR.
Frequently asked questions
Does Roku support Mediacom?
The Roku does not provide support for Mediacom. However, you can use Mediacom’s fantastic internet service to stream Roku.
How much does Mediacom charge for installation?
Mediacom charges their customers a one-time installation fee of $99. Surprisingly, you can have this fee waived if you order online.
Can I cancel my DirecTV subscription?
Cancelling your DirecTV’s subscription isn’t the easiest thing to do. And that’s because they require their customers to sign a 2-year contract. Should you decide to cancel your contract with them before it expires, you’ll have to pay an early termination fee.
How much does DirecTV cost?
Well, it depends on which of their packages you’re interested in. With six fantastic packages to choose from, we are sure you’ll find one you love.
Making a choice among these fantastic TV providers can be quite tricky, as they both boast of loads of incredible features you cannot resist. From attractive promotional pricing to impressive channel selections to Powerful DVRs and more, these two TV providers will make an excellent choice for anyone shopping for a reliable TV service provider.