The worst thing that could ever happen to anyone is paying for a TV subscription but not being able to enjoy it fully. It’s even more upsetting when you end up missing your favorite TV show or live program due to a dish network signal loss.
To avoid dealing with such frustrations, it’s important to have some basic information on fixing a dish network signal loss. This will go a long way in ensuring you continue to enjoy all of your favorite programs.
The signal loss message portrayed on the screen is usually an indication of a problem with the cable connection, harsh weather that’s distorting the signals or an issue on the service provider end hence the signal strength isn’t being established.
What causes the Dish network signal loss issue?
There is always a cause behind each problem and Dish outages can occur for any reasons. Knowing the potential causes of the signal loss error on Dish network is a step closer to solving it. Here are some of the underlying causes of this appalling issue;
Most of the time, the signal loss issue is caused by an obstruction between your dish antenna and the satellite. The obstructions come in many forms such as a building, a tree or any other object that is interfering with the transmission of signals between the antenna and satellite.
The cables might be loose
There is also a possibility the cables connected into the receiver are not plugged in properly. Maybe you reallocated the receiver and the cables became loose in the process. Sometimes the cables simply loosen over time without you realizing it. Either way, this will trigger a signal loss.
This is another major cause of a dish network signal loss. There is really nothing you can do about the weather. But a few things could help fix the situation. Bad weather like heavy clouds can cause an obstruction and ultimately signal loss. Storms and heavy rains can also distort the signals.
How to fix satellite dish signal loss due to bad weather
For many people, signal loss due to bad weather is a common occurrence and the best they can do is wait it out. In most cases, it’s only temporary and the signal strength will get better once the bad weather is gone. However, it’s always easier to prevent the problem before it occurs. Here are some quite useful tips to prevent dish network signal loss as a result of bad weather and also help fix the issue.
- Anytime it’s raining or there is bad weather and you start experiencing poor or no signal, unplug the receiver power cord from the electrical outlet. Wait for at least 10 seconds before plugging it back in. This might solve the issue, if not move to the next tip.
- Check if the coaxial cable is connected to the decoder properly. If it’s not, then there is a chance it’s preventing the signal from being administered. Fasten it.
- Make sure the dish antenna is not installed too far away from the decoder. The truth is signal tends to get lost with distance and the closer your dish is to the receiver, the stronger the signal will be.
- Ensure there are no cuts or breaks on the coaxial cable. Maybe the severance is causing water to get into the cable and hence the signal loss. Replace the bad section or even the complete cable to solve the problem entirely.
- Get a bigger dish antenna especially if you live in those areas that experience the rainfall season. This will help to cater for an eventuality of signal loss when it rains. You can talk to your service provider to check whether they offer a dish upsize.
- The polar mount for your dish installation should be upright. If it’s not, prepare yourself for signal loss issues every now and then. Another thing is that the dish should be sturdy. This means the wind should not move it and whenever there is a breeze, you shouldn’t notice any vibrations on it.
How to fix a signal loss error on dish network
The truth is most of the time the culprit of the dish network signal loss issue is usually harsh weather. But there are other times when the weather is good and you still encounter the same issue.
This time it could be something else such as a glitch with the receiver. This is often fixed by discharging the receiver completely. Here is how to go about it;
- Unplug the receiver from the power source
- Press the power button on the receiver and hold on to it for at least 15 seconds
- Plug the receiver back into the power outlet and wait for about 10 seconds
- Press the power button on it and give it time to start
- Check to confirm if the issue is gone or still persists
This is all you can do when there is a signal loss on Dish and you can no longer watch any of your favorite TV channels. If this does not work and the problem persists, it may be time to contact the customer support. The problem might be originating from the provider side. It can also be that the hardware configuration is faulty. Contact customer support so that they can send a technician who will check and fix the issue promptly.
How do I fix dish network signal loss?
The most basic troubleshooting method is to reset the dish receiver. You can do that by unplugging the power cord of the receiver from the electrical outlet. Wait for at least 10 seconds before plugging it back in.
What is the minimum signal strength for dish network?
The reasonable signal strength for dish network is considered to be anywhere between 50 and 80. This is enough to enable you to comfortably watch TV channels. But you should strive to get it to about 90 or even 100.
There are ways to prevent experiencing signal loss during harsh weather. However, signal loss when the weather is fine can be a challenge. If the troubleshooting method we have shared does not work, reach out to dish customer support for further help.