We have covered TiVo before, but did you know how to program TiVo Remote, and use it for your TV and TiVo device? Read on and you will find out how exactly you can do that with this short guide.
TiVo is a service provider that’s well-known for its DVRs. It was actually among the very first companies to offer digital video recorders and has managed to remain competitive even as the way people watch television keeps changing.
Customers greatly appreciate the user-friendly interface of the service and the remote. The TiVo remote has more functions than you might have imagined.
You can use it to set recordings, manage some of your TiVo services, stream and even download videos from the web. In addition, you can program a few buttons on the remote control to turn your receiver or TV on and off.
How do you program the TiVo remote? It may sound like a complicated process but with proper instructions, you can do it yourself.
Programming the TiVo remote to control a TV or Stereo
How to program TV power, volume, and mute
There is a way to program your TiVo remote so that it powers your TV on and off, adjusts the volume and it can cycle through the TV input settings.
The main advantage of this is you only need one remote to control both your TV and TiVo device. Use these instructions to program the TiVo remote and add these functions;
- Step 1: Navigate to the remote control setup screen. If you can’t find it follow these prompts; go to Tivo Central, from there select Messages & Settings > Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > finally, Remote Control.
- Step 2: You’ll be prompted to choose the function you want the TiVo remote to carry out. Highlight the first part which is TV power, Volume, and Mute, and proceed to press Select. The DVR will give a list of the television brands the remote supports. You can use the UP/DOWN arrows and the Channel DOWN/UP buttons found on the TiVo remote to highlight your particular TV brand and after that, press Select.Several TV remote control codes will appear on the screen.
- Step 3: Use the instructions provided on the screen to enter a code into the remote control. If the first code fails, repeat the same instructions to enter a different code until you eventually find one that works. Once you have entered a code, try to turn your TV on or off using the TiVo remote power button. This will confirm if the code works or not. Sometimes none of the codes displayed on the screen work. If that’s the case, you will have to get the TiVo remote to search for the pre-programmed list of codes.
How to search for a code to control your TV power and volume
- Start by covering the end of the TiVo remote with your hand.
- Now hold down the TiVo and TV power buttons concurrently until you can see the red light on the remote remain on.
- Remove your hand that’s placed at the end of the TiVo remote.
- Enter the code 0999.
- After you’ve entered the code, the red light is supposed to flash three times and then remain on.
- Wait for at least two seconds before pressing Channel Up. This helps you test as many codes as possible until you finally find one that will work. Don’t go any faster or try to rush through the process. You might accidentally skip a code that actually works.
If you go through all the codes, the red LED light will automatically go off. This means you have tried all the codes on the TiVo remote.
If you still haven’t found your code or selected a code but the TV doesn’t respond, try the process once again just to make sure you didn’t skip the right one.
How to program the TV input function on your TiVo remote
You may want to set up the TV input button on the Tivo remote so that it can change the input source on your TV. This ensures you can easily switch between the TV and your DVR with a single remote control. Here is how to successfully go about it;
- Step 1: If you were previously programming the TV power, volume and mute and you’ve just finished, proceed to press Select as prompted until you reach the Remote control setup screen.
- Step 2: Highlight the third part, which is shown as TV Input, and then press Select. Use the UP/DOWN arrow buttons and the Channel DOWN/UP buttons on your Tivo remote to choose your particular TV brand and afterward press Select. Several TV remote codes will appear on the screen.
- Step 3: Follow the on-screen instructions to enter a code into the remote. If the first code doesn’t work, repeat the same instructions to enter a different code and so on, until you eventually find the one that works.
If none of the codes works, there is another option and it involves searching the list of codes stored on the TiVo remote.
How to search for a code to control the TV input function
- Using your hand, cover the end of the TiVo remote.
- Proceed to hold down the TiVo and TV input button concurrently until you can see the red light on the remote control remain on.
- You can now remove your hand from the TiVo remote control.
- Next, enter the code 0999.
- Once you’ve entered the code, the red light is supposed to flash three times and then remain on.
- Press the Channel Up button after every two seconds. This will help you test hundreds of codes until you find the right one. Don’t go any faster as you might skip a code that actually works.
If you don’t get a code that works, you can always try again to ensure you didn’t skip your code by going too fast.
Programming your TiVo remote introduces a convenience factor. This means that you don’t have to keep switching between two or three remotes which by all means is tiring and cumbersome.
Once you’ve programmed your TiVo remote, you can use it to adjust the volume on your TV, power your TV On and Off and cycle through the input settings.