So many subscribers have been asking is Roku better than Firestick, you can read on to know the difference. The Amazon firestick and Roku are presently the cheapest streaming devices. Both devices have a broad compatibility with access to Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube, and other streaming applications.
The two companies have continued to release the latest devices, upping their previous versions. In the market today, there are three generations of Amazon Fire TV and Roku streaming devices.
Both devices have different ranges for different individuals based on their budgets. The starting price ranges from $29.99 to $99.99. It’s also interesting to know that all streaming devices provide quick access to all channels and apps.
Comparing Roku vs Firestick
So, which one do you want to choose? It’s important to note that both devices have more similarities than differences. The details are listed below;
- Both devices are very affordable. the starting price for Roku is $29.99 and Fire TV goes for $40.
- Both devices have unlimited access to many TV apps which comprises paid and free ones. Most apps function the same way on both devices.
- Their latest models are more responsive, quick, and reliable. You just need a good internet connection.
- Both apart from the cheapest Roku has a remote with power buttons and TV volume to control most TVs. With this, you can forget about the TV remote.
- Both also have several models. The basic streamers have up to 4K-compatible versions with device control, voice, and headphone jacks that are inbuilt in the remote control.
Differences between Roku and Firestick
|Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K||Roku Streaming Stick+|
|Processor||Quad-core 1.7||GHz Quad-core|
|GPU||IMG GE8300||ARM Cortex A53|
|Bluetooth||Bluetooth 5.0 + LE||no information available|
|Ports||micro-USB, HDMI output, for OTG and power connection||Power, mini-USB, HDMI 2.0a, for advanced wireless receiver|
|System Requirements||High-definition television with available high-speed HDMI input, high-speed internet connection via Wi-Fi||High-definition television with available high-speed HDMI input, high-speed internet connection via Wi-Fi|
|Content Format||Video: HDR 10, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HLG, H.265, H.264, VP9
Audio: EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), AAC-LC, FLAC, AC3, MP3.
Photo: BMP, PNG, JPEG, GIF,
|Video: H.264/AVC, MOV, MP4, M4V, WebM, MKV,
Video Codecs: HEVC/H.265, VP9
Audio: MP3, AAC, WMA, E-AC3, AIFF, WAV (PCM), FLAC, ALAC, AC3,
Photo: Smooth, HLS/CMAF, DASH
|TV Compatibility||TVs that stream in HD, Ultra HD, and 4K, or any TV with an HDMI port||HD TVs, 4K UHD TVs and 4K UHD HDR|
|Networking||802.11ac MIMO dual-band wireless receiver||802.11ac MIMO dual-band wireless receiver|
|Power Consumption||About 4W Power||Less than 3W|
|Input||5V – 1A||5V – 1A|
Other Important differences
- The remote is designed with control buttons for convenient play and press.
- It can perform any of these; mute device, volume adjustment, return to the previous page, move to next track, voice command activation.
- It is synced with Alexa and can also be paired with other devices.
- The firestick remote control with Alexa and voice control is a major distinguishing factor from Roku.
- The Roku has the same buttons also with shortcut buttons for some selected channels.
- It is suitable for users who intend to switch from one preferred channel to another.
Firestick remote stands above Roku because of the voice control capabilities.
- Firestick is compatible with HD TVs that have HDMI input, high-speed internet connection via Wi-Fi.
- Roku is compatible with these TVs; 4K UHD TVs of up to 2160p, HD TVs of up to 1080p, 4K UHD HDR TVs. But all must support HRD10.
- With firestick, you can store data on its 8 GB capacity. There is also access to cloud storage when you purchase from Amazon.
- Roku is only limited to 256 MB and only 512 MB storage capability.
Note; External storage devices like OTG cable can be connected on Fire TV Stick.
Parental Controls Feature
- On firestick, you can activate the parental control feature with a 5-digit PIN to prevent your kids from watching inappropriate content.
- Roku does not have parental control features but users can create a 4-digit PIN before adding new channels. However, the PIN cannot be used to stop your kids from watching inappropriate content.
Voice Command Feature
- The firestick has an Alexa voice remote feature. With this, you can launch music, movies, TV shows, adjust volume with your voice recognition.
- Roku supports voice search through the free Roku mobile app. But it’s not available on the Premier and Express series.
There is an accompanying mobile app on firestick that features voice search easy keyboard entry, playback controls, quick access to games and apps though it is limited to some countries.
The free Roku mobile app can be downloaded which will enable you to use your phone to control your Roku stick, cast your phone’s photos, use a private listening feature, record videos, and stored music on your phone and directly to your TV.
Amazon Prime members have access to exclusive Amazon originals, movies TV shows, and premium cable channels like STARZ, HBO, Cinemax, SHOWTIME, etc. The Prime music feature also makes music streaming easier. Firestick users can also decide to start with a free trial for any paid channel.
Roku claims to offer access to about 450,000 movies and TV programs and many on-demand streaming services.
From the above outline, you now have enough information to choose between Roku and Firestick depending on what works best for you.
Frequently asked questions
What is the difference between fire stick and Roku?
Firestick is compatible with any HD TV that has HDMI port input and a reliable internet connection. On the other hand, Roku is compatible with 4K UHD TVs of up to 2160p, HD TVs of up to 1080p, 4K UHD HDR TVs. The firestick also has more storage capacity when compared with Roku.
Is Roku express more preferable to Amazon Fire Stick?
In terms of cost, firestick is more expensive but it has three big convenience upgrades which are not available on Roku cheap players. The Fire TV Stick costs more than the Express but it offers three big convenience upgrades such as Alexa voice control missing from Roku’s cheapest player.
Is it possible to stream 4K on Roku or Firestick?
Both have 4K UHD abilities. But your TV needs to support 4k streaming.