Wondering what AT&T internet has got to offer in 2022 then keeping reading this post to see if its still worth it.
AT&T is the good old mobile service provider that entered the ISP market in 2006. Like its mobile services, AT&T’s internet services have become quite popular in recent times. AT&T boasts of one of the most flexible internet plans in the USA. With its presence across 21 southern and midwestern US states, it is not only popular for being affordable but also available in the remotest locations in the country. Read on to get a detailed review of AT&T’s internet services.
Is AT&T Internet Worth It
AT&T provides internet through two means: DSL (Digital Subscriber Lines) or Fixed Wireless internet and Fiber internet to various locations across the USA.
AT&T’s fixed wireless internet is a palatable internet plan for rural areas where traditional internet lines can’t reach. Typically, the fixed wireless internet uses a fine-tuned antenna fixed at the best possible location the installer finds outside your home. This ensures that the antenna catches the strongest signal from the nearest serving tower. Fiber internet plans, on the other hand, deliver super-fast internet speeds using fiber optic technology but their availability is limited to accessibility.
Of course, the kind of internet service and its speed largely depends on your location.
As of May 2020, AT&T servers the following 21 states in the USA: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin. Apart from this, AT&T has also given an easy means to get a list of services based on your location on their website. You can click on this link, enter one or more parts of your address or area code, and get a complete list of the home services they offer in your area.
AT&T offers a separate range of “Small Business Solutions” for its small business customers. Public sector organizations such as federal, state, or local government agencies qualify for special terms and pricing which can be requested separately on their website.
AT&T Prices, Plans, and Internet Speeds
AT&T’s internet plans depend on its availability at your location.
In its fiber optics internet services, AT&T has two popular packages:
- The “Internet 100” which enables HD video streaming, and multi-player online gaming through its up to 100 Mbps download speed across 12 devices at once for $49.99/month.
- The “Internet 1000” plan, which is AT&T’s fastest internet plan, which enables HD video streaming and competitive gaming experience across 14 devices all at once. It offers up to 500-940 Mbps of download speeds for $39.99/month, thus living up to its name.
AT&T also offers other comprehensive plans for $49.99/month for 12 months.
- The “Internet 10” plan provides up to 10 Mbps download speeds and serves up to 4 devices. It works well for multi-device households and supports social networking, music downloads, and video streaming.
- The “Internet 18” plan provides up to 18 Mbps download speeds and supports up to 5 devices. Users can social network, share videos and photos, stream videos, and also play online games.
- The “Internet 25” plan supports up to 25 Mbps internet and up to 6 devices. It enables video streaming across multiple devices, sharing videos and photos, and online gaming.
- The “Internet 50” plan provides up to 50 Mbps download speed and supports social network, sharing videos and photos, video streaming, and online gaming across multiple devices up to 10 devices.
- The “Internet 75” plan provides up to 75 Mbps high speed and supports binge streaming, multiplayer online games, and large file-sharing for up to 12 devices.
- The “Internet100” plan is much like the “Internet 50” but it additionally supports up to 100 Mbps of download speeds.
Additionally, AT&T offers three basic plans: the Internet Basic 768, the Internet Basic 1.5, and the Internet Basic 5 which support 0.8 Mbps, 1.5 Mbps, and 5 Mbps download speeds respectively for $49.99/ month.
AT&T’s fixed wireless plan for selected rural households and businesses where traditional service is unavailable provides at least 10 Mbps download speed for $49.99/month.
*Please note that some of these prices subject to conditions. Some of these prices are special prices that can be availed when bundled with AT&T’s DIRECTV, U-verse TV, AT&T TV or AT&T Phone or postpaid AT&T wireless services. Equipment, installation, and contract charges are extra.
*Most of these prices are applicable only if you are an AT&T new residential customer for 12 months. After the first 12 months, standard rates apply.
AT&T Internet Data Caps
Most internet plans from AT&T come with a data cap of a whopping 1 TB. If you ever manage to hit that ceiling, you’ll be charged an additional $10 for every 50 GB of data you use. Some DSL and fixed wireless internet plans also have smaller caps the details of which are available on AT&T’s website.
Then again, if all you’re looking for is unlimited internet, you can go for the “Internet 1000” package which will not only provide you super-fast speeds, but it will also ensure unlimited data supply.
AT&T Service Fees, Equipment Fees, Other Fees, and Contracts
AT&T’s installation fees fall into two categories: If you prefer a DIY installation, you just have to pay 35$ activation fees. If you need them to do the full setup, you can get it completely done from their reps for a total of $99.
Additionally, they charge you $10 equipment rental fee per month for a Wi-Fi gateway modem-and-router combo.
Like most service providers, AT&T’s internet services come with a one-year service agreement. Upon termination, you would have to return their rental equipment as soon as possible in a proper condition or they may levy equipment charges on you. Additionally, for every month left on your plan post-cancellation, AT&T charges you an early termination fee of $15/month up to $180.
AT&T is a renowned phone prepaid and postpaid service provider. Apart from internet services, it also provides television services such as DIRECTV, U-verse TV, and AT&T TV.
- Competitive Pricing – AT&T internet boasts of some of the best pricing ranges in the market that increases its chances of serving more and more people.
- Lucrative Bundle Deals with DirecTV Services – Many people with varied mobile internet and DirecTV requirements consider AT&T a one-stop-shop for all their needs. On top of its competitive pricing, AT&T’s bundle deals make it even more lucrative in the customer market.
- Fixed Wireless Internet for Rural Areas – AT&T’s fixed wireless technology brings the internet to rural areas where most traditional internet services give-up.
- Good Customer Support – Holding up to its legacy in the customer service category, few customers complain of dissatisfactory customer service from AT&T. No matter how many times you approach them, their customer service representatives will adhere to your complaints.
- Data Caps – AT&T’s DSL and fixed internet data plans come with smaller data caps as compared to their fiber internet plans. Considering how this might be the only option for people in rural areas, customers end up shelling more than expected if their data usage surpasses the limits.
- Slow Download Speeds in Certain Packages – Like the previous downside, this one is also applicable to people with heavy internet usages relying on AT&T’s internet in rural areas. While AT&T does advertise and deliver the “up to” limit in most urban areas, it struggles to keep its data speeds in rural areas, which is especially problematic if more than estimated people end up feeding on your internet supply.
Is AT&T Internet available in my region?
AT&T services are available in 21 states across the USA. To check the list of services applicable in your region, go to the availability section on their website and get a list of services based on your address details or zip code.
Can I get AT&T internet even if I live in rural areas?
Yes. For certain rural areas where the traditional internet is not serviceable, AT&T delivers the internet using “Fixed Wireless” technology.
How do I contact AT&T customer service?
Please dial the following number from your phone for AT&T internet customer service: 1-800-288-2020.
AT&T is one of the big players in the mobile, internet, and wireless markets in the USA. With its competitive pricing and decent download speeds, more and more people are switching to AT&T internet every day. All in all, if you’re looking for a dependable, economically viable, and reliable internet service with decent delivered download speeds, and if AT&T is ready to serve your location, you can go for it.