Verizon has been a big player in the telecommunications market due to its mobile internet services. Verizon internet has followed suit since it was first launched in 2005. Known for its competitive pricing, super-fast internet speeds, and great customer service experience, Verizon internet is a popular choice in the USA. Read on to know how Verizon internet fares overall in the American internet market.
Verison Internet Services Review
There are two ways in which Verizon delivers home internet.
One way is through fiber optic network which it labels as Verizon Fios. Verizon Fios is a 100% fiber-optic internet with fast speeds up to 940/880 Mbps, high network reliability, and high-quality performance. It is currently available in the following areas: New Jersey, New York (New York City, Albany, Buffalo, Long Island, Plattsburgh, Staten Island, Syracuse), Maryland (Baltimore, Salisbury), Delaware, Massachusetts (Boston), Pennsylvania (Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh), Providence, RI, Virginia (Norfolk, Richmond), and Washington (DC).
In areas where Fios is unavailable, Verizon makes use of DSL to provide high-speed internet ranging from 0.5 Mbps to 15 Mbps through telephone lines and a modem. Verizon DSL internet is available in certain areas of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, Virginia, Rhode Island, and Washington DC.
You can check the type of internet you qualify for in your area based on your zipcode here.
Verizon Prices, Plans, and Internet Speeds
All internet plans offered by Verizon enjoy symmetrical speeds. This means that their upload speed is nearly as same as their download speeds. This feature is especially beneficial for videographers, photographers, and social media influencers who upload nearly the same amount of data that they download.
Verizon Fios offers the three plans to choose from depending on the required bandwidth.
- The 200/200 Mbps internet plan provides up to 200 Mbps upload and download speeds at $39.99/month. With this plan, you can stream and download movies, and upload and download high-quality photos and videos.
- The 400/400 Mbps internet plan 400 Mbps upload and download speeds at $59.99/month, ideal for multiple users to stream and download movies, upload and download videos, and photos, gaming, and sharing large files.
- The Gigabit internet plan offers up to 940/880 Mbps for $79.99/month. This is the fastest internet plan from Verizon that lets multiple devices use large amounts of data simultaneously and offers high-end gaming experience to gamers.
Additionally, Verizon DLS is available as a high-speed internet + phone plan for $69.99/month for one year at speeds in the 1.1-3 Mbps, 3.1-7 Mbps, or 7.1-15 Mbps depending on the equipment and the quality of phone lines in your region.
Verizon also offers packages that include the cost of its Fios TV and/or Verizon Wireless along with Verizon internet in a single bundle.
Verison Service Fees, Equipment Fees, Other Fees and Contracts
Standard setup charges for Verizon internet is $99 which is waived off if you order online. What’s more, you get a router when you buy the Verizon Gigabit plan at no extra cost and it also includes the monthly equipment rental charge in the monthly plan cost. For all other plans, you have to pay $15/month as router rent charge.
Verizon internet does not include any annual contract. All its Fios internet packages can be availed on a month-to-month basis. You can also cancel your Verizon internet service any time with zero early termination fees.
Apart from Fios and high-speed DSL internet, Verizon also offers Fios TV and Verizon Wireless.
Fios TV is a streaming feature from Verizon equipped with the power of Fiber optics and a wide range of channels at your fingertips.
Verizon Wireless is Verizon’s better-known cousin that offers mobile internet and other wireless products and services in the telecommunications market.
- Symmetrical and Fast Speed – Many internet plans boast of fast download speeds, but Verizon does it both ways. Not only do you get super-fast download speeds with Verizon Fios, but you also get similar levels of upload speeds, essential for social media influencers, and other people looking to upload and share large files on the internet.
- No Annual Contract – Verizon has no annual contract whatsoever. Along with fast-speed internet, this is one of the things every internet customer looks for in an ISP. With Verizon, you pay on a month-to-month basis and cancel anytime without incurring any sort of early termination fees.
- Good Customer Service – Verizon is known for its great customer service, getting full five stars from millions of satisfied customers in America, for over a decade now. J.D. Power has ranked Fios as the #1 in U.S. Residential Internet Service Provider Satisfaction Studies for seven years in a row.
- Limited Availability – As popular as Verizon Fios is, as of now, it’s lightning speed internet is available only in areas spanning from New York and Massachusetts along the East Coast towards Virginia. Other rural areas have to settle for Verizon’s DSL service whose speeds fluctuate depending on the serviceable area.
What do Customers Think of Verizon Internet
1. FIOS HAS BEEN WORKING RELIABLY FOR 8 YEARS (5 Stars)
For this Verizon user from Methuen, Massachusetts, Fios has been working with no problems at his residence for the past 8 years. They have faced constant problems at the same location with other providers. With Verizon, they have never had to call customer service with a service issue. When they do call for tech support, the people are always helpful. Their speed is always better than the quoted tier. They have 3 TVs internet and phone. They additionally run a VOIP server for their small home business and Fios works great for this as well with their VPN router for secure access when they’re working remotely.
2. ONLY GOOD WHEN IT WORKS (2 Stars)
For Justin, the connection is great as far as speed is concerned. As for the connection itself, he finds it terrible. There are constant drop-ins and outs, especially over wireless, which makes navigating the web or doing any web-based work impossible. He wishes to switch back to cable as soon as he moves the next month. Nevertheless, he says the speed with Fios is great but is not reliable enough for him to make it worth the price. He complains of making 3 calls to customer service, and as nice as they are, all they do for him is refresh the signal which they think will magically solve the issue which it never does.
3. YES, BUT DO THESE THINGS (4 Stars)
Krisna has been a long-term customer of Fios. He really likes the service, as well as the technical support people. However, he finds the overall customer service pretty terrible, but suggests you can avoid the pitfalls with these lessons learned: #1 Buy your own router: They got a good one for $60 on Amazon after years of renting theirs for $12/month. They automatically add that rental fee if you don’t tell them. #2. Never believe the chat people if they tell you they will send you a confirmation email in 3-4 days or if they tell you they are going to waive a fee (which they may offer too, but then don’t). Get it in writing right then and copy the entire chat somewhere so that you have their promises in writing. It took 3 tries for Krisna to get what was promised – not sure if that is typical. #3 Don’t even try to call – you may get hung up on while on hold, as we did. #4 Call to ask for a better price when the year intro price is up – it is hard to remember. #5 read the fine print – the price will go up.
*Reviews taken from broadbandnow.com
Which Verizon internet out of Verizon Fios or Verizon DSL is available in my area?
Verizon offers Fios only in limited areas in the USA as of now. You can check the Verizon services available in your area by entering your zip code.
What do you mean by Verizon’s symmetrical speed?
Most internet providers only advertise their download speeds. Verizon advertises its internet plans as symmetrical which means that their upload and download speeds are nearly the same. You can see these speed values against the internet plans advertised by Verizon.
How do I contact Verizon customer service?
There are various options to connect with Verizon customer service as listed.
You can either chat with them, message them on social media or connect with them over a call.
All in all, Verizon is an excellent home internet provider in America if you’re looking for high-speed and reliable internet. Sure you won’t enjoy Verizon Fios if you’re living outside its serviceable areas but you can fall back on Verizon DSL if you still want to try the Verizon experience.